Monday 17 March 2008

Aaron.

I have just finished watching Insight on UTV. It was about violence on the streets of Belfast. Early in the morning of 15th Feb 2008, after a Valentine's night out, my friend Aaron Montgomery was killed outside Skye nightclub after being punched in the head. Watching the programme, which featured an interview with Aaron's brother Adam, brought back the reality of it all. I went to school and i went through university with Aaron, and hearing of his death that Friday morning brought me to my knees with shock. You just never think anything like that is going to happen to someone you know. I heard the story on the radio that morning as i was driving to work, the reason it stuck in my head was because they said that a 23 year old man had been killed...i remember thinking "wow i'm 23, that's terrible", but regretfully, like many stories on the news, i forgot about it. Until i recieved that phonecall from my friend Kathryn. The programme featured a close up of some flowers and a card that we left outside the nightclub the day after Aron's death. What bothers me now though, is that many other people watching that programme tonight, will watch it then completely forget about it. But Araon was my friend, he was a friend to many others, he was a Son, and he was a Brother. We will never forget about him.